Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lovin' "Snohomish's 'Finest' right now! (Thanks Snohomish PD!)

You know, I LOVE living in this little town! Today was the perfect case in point.

My little  friend Helen (91), had the flower basket stolen off her little front porch this week. As mentioned in a prior post, I decided I was going to replace it. I would have done so yesterday, but between my knee and remembering her eating habits (or lack of) I decided to wait till today and bring her some produce  from the local Farmer's Market,too. 

So? My surprise, when I pulled into her driveway and saw a NEW hanging basket by her front door! I thought maybe it was my friend Zoe that I'd mentioned it to, or one of Helen's neighbors whom maybe Helen had mentioned it to. (Trust me, if you would have seen how hurt she was after it was stolen YOU probably would have gone out and bought her a new one too!)



But it wasn't another friend, it wasn't even a neighbor, it was staff and members of the Snohomish Police Department that chipped in and bought it for her! Come on!  Can you even Stand it?

I hung my little Fushia colored Petunia pot on the other side of the door, which incidentally, was small in comparison-but I could have cared less. I was elated to learn our community cared.

And, the local strawberries I left her with from the Market were such a big hit she called me minutes after I walked in the front door and  told me she'd eaten them all.

I Almost missed that call, because I just HAD to stop by the Police Station and thank them too. Although Helen didn't know exactly WHO to thank, she'd already delivered a "Thank You" to the station that morning--not an Email, (although she's sharp and uses the internet) and not a phone or text message, but a good Old Fashioned "Thank You" Card,,,,for whomever was responsible.

The card was posted on the Bulletin board in the Station, for all to see. I reiterate: The card was posted on the Bulletin board for all to see.

Kudos to our Police Department for restoring a little "Spitfire's" faith in Humanity. That gesture meant the world to her, AND to me! Truly the day after her "Mother's Day" Basket was stolen-the basket that brought her so much pleasure watching the Hummingbirds come by her front window, the light in her eyes was a bit dimmer.
Recognition and Respect-important at any age, but especially in latter years.

Thanks Snohomish PD! For putting that Sparkle back in little Helen's Eyes! Only in a small town, and let me tell you, I'm really lovin' MINE right now!

Hugs, Love and an appreciative Bus!
Shell

(If you're local and you read this,,,,,feel free to thank one or two of our "finest" next time you see them!)

7 comments:

  1. Shell, I LOVED that post . . . you never hear of that kind of thing happening anymore. Snohomish's finest is truly THE FINEST!!!

    And you have a heart of gold, sweet girl!!!

    xoxo Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Shell this was so sweet to read :) I think that is awesome of the police department to do that. Love Snohomish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it makes me think of my own spit fire of a grandma! Thanks Shell and thanks to the pd.
    our community is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful story. It gave me goosebumps! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful thing for them to do! Made me have a tear in my eye!

    I was at Pet Smart this morning when you called!

    Love you!
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Shelly,
    It is difficult to fathom why ANYONE would steal flowers from a person's home, let alone form an elderly person's nest. However, just when you think there is not a speck of humanity left, a story like this one, with a happy ending comes around. A gigantic "cheers" to the PD!!! and to you! For having such a generous heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a former Snohomish gal, I just want to say........yee haw!!

    ReplyDelete

love it if you take a moment to leave a comment!